Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Dwelling into the mind of Inventors

I have just updated my profile with a picture of myself standing with a mask of Einstein who is and will be regarded as one of the greatest Scientists aka Inventor of all time!!

But it is ironic the stereotypical image we have created of Scientists /Techies / Inventors of being a geek oblivious of what is happening around him and nothing illustrates it better than the conversation over coffee in office today.

My colleague Yeshesvini and myself happened to meet a Telecom Researcher over coffee today and happened to ask him "What do you do" to which he responded "Research in creating Standards" and the obvious follow-up question was "What are the applications of your work" to which he responded saying they do industry projects and follow a public-private partnership model after which we ended our conversation.

Yeshesvini drew parallels and took a simple example"I asked him how much is Tomato worth" and he responded with an answer on the worth of Potato!!

The insight we drew was Scientists & Inventors are very inward looking and therefore very often not able to relate to the "outward world" which I believe should be a big lesson coz' therein lies the challenge and opportunity!!

Look forward to different views & perspective.

Ciao till the next post..

No comments:

Post a Comment